Sunnyside is Benson’s main recreation ground, providing a place for residents to come together for all manner of outdoor community activities, to play sports and to exercise dogs. Created in 1946, it consists primarily of amenity grassland with occasional trees scattered along the northern, western and southern edge and some hedging along the eastern boundary. Sunnyside is also the location for the Parish Hall, the Tennis Club and the main children’s playground in the village.
Working with the Parish Council, Benson Nature Group has identified ways of enhancing both the wildlife interest and natural beauty of Sunnyside in ways that don’t compromise its primary use as a community recreation ground. This project is in development.